Dear Austin ISD Families,
We’re excited to announce that we’ve increased our pay for substitute teachers, and we’re inviting you to join the team!
- You can teach students at your home campus in a way that’s flexible to your own schedule, and have the opportunity to earn up to $225 a day.
Why it matters: The national trend of staffing shortages have reached Austin ISD, and the recent COVID-19 surge has made it especially challenging. Being a substitute teacher is one additional way our families and community can help make a difference.
- Several hundred of us at Central Office are also heading into the classrooms to fill in as substitute teachers and administrative support.
- It means so much to us to see how our entire AISD community is coming together to support our students.
Dig deeper: The base pay increase for substitute teachers takes effect January 18. We’ve also added compensation for supporting campuses in high-need areas.
- Degreed substitutes can now earn between $140 and $200 a day for fulfilling a teacher assignment, plus additional compensation when you substitute during Stage 4 and 5.
- We’re expanding our eligibility requirements so that people with fewer than 60 college credit hours are eligible to work in elementary or middle schools.
- Check out our website for substitutes for more details about the pay increase.
The pay increase is one way we can thank our subs for how valued they are in AISD.
- Since 2019, we’ve increased our substitute base rate of pay an average of $47.50 a day across all levels.
Interested in joining? Applying is easy!
- Step 1: Fill out an application on our website.
- Step 2: Our Substitute Services team will then contact you about background checks, fingerprinting, onboarding and training.
- Step 3: Once hired, you can select the school(s) and dates/times where you’re available to work.
- Step 4: Check the system each day to see if there’s a teacher absence that fits your criteria, or connect with your campus principal to see where the needs are.
If you have any questions or want to learn more about being a substitute in AISD, please reach out through Let’s Talk.