Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is one of the world’s most beloved family musicals. Released as a concept album in 1969, this multi award winning show has been performed hundreds of thousands of times including multiple runs in the West End and on Broadway, international tours and productions in over 80 countries!
Told entirely through song with the help of the Narrator, the show follows the story of Jacob’s favorite son Joseph and his eleven brothers. After being sold into slavery by the brothers, he ingratiates himself with Egyptian noble Potiphar, but ends up in jail after refusing the advances of Potiphar’s wife.
While imprisoned, Joseph discovers his ability to interpret dreams, and he soon finds himself in front of the mighty but troubled showman, the Pharaoh. As Joseph strives to resolve Egypt’s famine, he becomes Pharaoh’s right-hand man and eventually reunites with his family.
We are a seeking 11 children, age 7-13, for the “Dream Choir.” The Dream Choir kiddos will be very involved in this production and should be strong singers, able to dance and/or move really well, and be comfortable moving props and set pieces on and off stage. Children interested in auditioning for the dream choir should complete the entire audition process (form + vocal audition & dance audition) as outlined below.
- November 1 Submit Audition Form
- November 15 Vocal Audition
- November 16 Dance Call
- November 17 Callbacks
- November 29 – January 26 Rehearsals
- January 27 – February 6 Performances
Listen to the recording.
- To get a sense of the performance style and the popup-book world of the play, go to BroadwayHD streaming or YouTube to view the 1999 film version starring Donny Osmond and Maria Friedman.
- Select a 32-bar pop/rock or musical theatre song in the style of the show. Auditioners must bring sheet music (an accompanist will be provided).
- Thoroughly memorize and prepare your selected song cutting.
- Train as a dancer by dedicating yourself to improving incrementally in dance classes and if you are not taking dance classes enroll. You should be regularly training in dance.
- Complete Audition Form – carefully listing all conflicts. Submit by November 1st.
- Sign up for an audition time.
- For the vocal audition wear clothing that suggests character/play world/style. (Not a costume.)
- For the dance call wear jazz pants or dance shorts and a leotard, crop top or fitted top are to be worn. No baggy clothing and no jewelry. Hair is to be worn up and secured in a ponytail or bun. Black or tan split sole style jazz shoes are preferred, but half soles are also acceptable. If you don’t have jazz shoes sneakers are fine.
- Present your selected song – memorized and thoroughly crafted.
- Attend the dance call – be ready to learn a short dance combination on the spot and perform it to the best of your ability. You will be asked to perform the dance in a small group as opposed to by yourself.