Back-to-school COVID-19 testing on Monday and Tuesday yielded a 14.5% overall positivity rate.
- Austin-Travis County experienced a COVID-19 test positivity rate of more than 30% last week.
- The positivity rate among molecular PCR tests in Texas is now 34.4% and 19.7% among antigen tests.
Why it matters: Testing is one of the best ways to quickly identify COVID-19 cases and stop spread, especially with the easily transmissible, yet milder Omicron variant.
- COVID testing is available in all school health rooms for any student or staff, regardless of symptoms
- All campuses have adequate PPE on hand as well.
By the numbers: We tested a total of 2,639 students, staff, and family members during the two-day clinics.
- There were 384 positive test results.
Go deeper: COVID-19 symptoms can often seem like allergies or a common cold. When in doubt, get tested.
- Only students and staff can visit one of the 11 testing sites in Austin ISD run by third-party vendors from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Sites include:
- Travis ECHS, 1211 E. Oltorf St, Austin, TX 78704
- Northeast ECHS, 7104 Berkman Dr, Austin, TX 78752
- Akins HS, 10701 S 1st St, Austin, TX 78748
- Norman-Sims ES, 4001 Tannehill Ln, Austin, TX 78721
- Pillow ES, 3025 Crosscreek Dr, Austin, TX 78757
- Kiker ES, 5913 La Crosse Ave, Austin, TX 78739
- Eastside ECHS, 900 Thompson St, Austin, TX 78702
- Cunningham ES, 2200 Berkeley Ave, Austin, TX 78745
- Navarro ECHS, 1201 Payton Gin Rd, Austin, TX 78758
- Blazier Intermediate, 8801 Vertex Blvd, Austin, TX 78747
- McCallum HS, 5600 Sunshine Dr, Austin, TX 78756
Bottom line: We will continue to operate in consultation with Austin Public Health and in accordance with guidance from the CDC.
- “If you look at the safety of children with regard to infection, we have most of the teachers, [an] overwhelming majority of them are vaccinated,” Dr. Fauci said. “We now can vaccinate children from 5 years of age and older.”
What’s next: Get your backpacks and masks ready! Tomorrow is the first day of school in 2022.