Hold Harmless and Funding’s Link to Attendance
A recent push to get students back into classrooms for the final six weeks of school has resulted in widespread confusion about the changing rules surrounding a kind of state funding called “hold harmless.”
Reports have put the amount of funding at risk at as much as $30 million when the amount Austin ISD could lose if it doesn’t hit attendance targets is closer to $4 million–$5 million.
We outlined the facts around hold harmless and how attendance affects our enrollment differently this year on our website.
Earth Week/Pride Week
You may have noticed that this week Earth Week and Pride overlapped. While each has its own purpose and goals, both focus on equity and improving people’s lives. At Austin ISD, we’re committed to showing our students how they can build a better tomorrow for the Earth AND those who live on it. Learn more at AustinISD.org/earthweek and AustinISD.org/Pride.
Congratulations to our Teachers of the Year finalists!
Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde visited four Austin schools on Wednesday to celebrate the teachers who were selected as Austin ISD’s 2021 Teacher of the Year finalists. The Texas Teacher of the Year Program, which is facilitated by the Texas Association of School Administrators and the Texas Education Agency, recognizes teachers who have demonstrated outstanding leadership and excellence in teaching. Read about the finalists and see photos and videos on our website.
Celebrating 2020-21 Volunteer of the Year
In a year unlike any other, our volunteers were on the front lines with us in every way. April is Volunteer Appreciation Month, and we’re #AISDProud to recognize the Austin ISD 2020-21 Volunteers of the Year. Every year, each campus picks one or two Volunteers of the Year, Mentors of the Year, Parent Ambassadors and several Partners of the Year, including Austin Partners in Education Champions, who have given exceptional support to support their schools. See the full list of volunteers of the year on our website.
In Case You Missed It
- Each week, watch AISD in 3 to hear about amazing things happening here in Austin ISD!
- A new name for Eastside Memorial ECHS is up for consideration by the Board of Trustees on Thursday as the work of the 2017 bond nears completion.
- College & Career Week is April 26-29, mark your calendars!
- Read what two principals learned about their school during COVID.
- Furry friends get vaccinated thanks to engaging Akins ECHS student program.
- Our Dual Language Engagement series continues through April 30!
- Join Superintendent Elizalde and senior staff as part of our conversations with the district.