I have spent the last few weeks getting to know as many people as possible. Zoom and I have become very close friends! I have learned a lot during my conversations with students, parents, and staff members and there are certain trends that have become very clear.
Here are the top five trends from my conversations with the Macmmunity:
- Use Mac and Knights as puns as much as possible (see what I did above?)
- The HVAC system is in dire need of major attention. Given that we are in a pandemic, this accelerates the attention needed to the HVAC system to ensure there is quality airflow and circulation throughout the entire school.
- This community is PROUD of its history, students, creativity, and how we take care of each other.
- The work around racial injustice started last year with Ms. Hosack has been a big step in the right direction, and we have much more to do!
- We value creativity. The connection to fine arts permeates throughout the entire school, just as it does within the Fine Arts Academy.
Thank you to everyone who was able to join us for last week’s Meet and Greet. Your questions were excellent! If you were unable to join us, and are interested in our conversation, please click on the link below to watch the entire one-hour session:
During the Meet & Greet, I talked about the then-current Texas Education Agency (TEA) plan and mentioned the plans seem to be changing rapidly. Lo and behold, the next day TEA yet again released an updated policy. I imagine we will understand AISD’s reaction to this during the week to come. As we move toward the beginning of the school year, I will hold Zoom Webinar sessions to explain how we will be handling things at McCallum. I want you to stay informed, so you are able to make choices that work for your Macfamily.