Dear Austin ISD families,
Thank you for everything you have done to keep our community safe these past few weeks. This week I am writing to you with the very hopeful news that our efforts have paid off. Because of the improvements we are seeing on our campuses and in our community, and in consultation with Dr. Mark Escott of Austin Public Health, beginning Monday, Jan. 25, every family who selected on-campus learning will be invited to return to campus once again.
- The return to campus is not mandatory. Remote off-campus learning will continue to be offered for the rest of the school year.
- Families who selected remote off-campus learning, please contact your campus if you desire on-campus learning so that campuses can best prepare and provide a timeline for the arrival of more students.
Below please find the data we are using to make this determination:
- There has been a 35% decrease in daily positive cases reported since the first week of returning from Winter Break.
- There has been a 28% decrease in the cumulative number of weekly cases reported to the district since the first week of returning from Winter Break.
- The district currently has a 4.01% positivity rate. This is a 43% decrease from the positivity rate that we were seeing in the district before and right after Winter Break (our highest positivity rate was 7.07%).
While we are still considered to be in Stage 5 in Austin/Travis County, we are seeing a decrease in positive cases within Austin/Travis County.
- The current positivity rate of 12.8% for Austin/Travis County is a 28% decrease from the overall positivity rate that we saw returning from Winter Break (17.8%). In the past 3 days, the positivity rate for Austin/Travis County has decreased by almost 21%.
Source: Austin Public Health’s COVID-19 Surveillance Dashboard and the University of Texas at Austin’s COVID-19 Modeling Consortium.
Thank you for your flexibility and for being part of our Austin ISD community,
Stephanie S. Elizalde, Ed.D.