Fine Arts Academy
Transfer Policy Information
>>RESIDENCY/ TRANSFERS: Any student who resides in AISD boundaries but is NOT zoned to attend MAC for high school will need a transfer to attend.
Here are the main things to know about transfers.
- The student must live in the AISD residency zone and maintain AISD residence until graduation.
- Where a student attended middle school does not impact in any way her/his ability to acquire a transfer. No automatic transfers are given for attendance at any middle school.
- If the student is MAC zoned (and not another AISD high school), then whether s/he is accepted or not, s/he will attend MAC. No transfer is required.
- If the student is NOT MAC zoned, then they have to have a transfer to attend.
- Types of MAC transfers:
- AISD employee transfer
- Curriculum transfer
- This transfer is only obtained through acceptance into the Fine Arts Academy.
- After acceptance is reported from the Academy Office, this transfer is done through the district office, Student Services, automatically. No action is required from the student.
- A curriculum transfer supercedes any previous transfers received, and, therefore, any other transfer obtained at any time will be removed.
- NO other transfers are available to attend McCallum
FROM AISD STUDENT SERVICES:
- All accepted students are automatically provided a curriculum transfer, if they are not currently zoned for McCallum School. A separate transfer form is not necessary.
- Acceptance into this program will supersede any other transfer.
- If a student receives Special Education services, there may be a review by the Special Education Department to ensure that the student’s needs can be met at this campus. Final acceptance is contingent upon this review.
- FDA Regulation: https://pol.tasb.org/Policy/Download/1146?filename=FDA(REGULATION).pdf
More Transfer Info
Students must be residents within the AISD boundaries AND must maintain residence for the entire time enrolled in MAC. Students are unenrolled with any out-of-district residency. Students who are in AISD but are not zoned to attend MAC for high school will need a transfer to attend. Students who are in AISD and are zoned to attend MAC will not need a transfer. To see where your residence is in relation to school/district zoning, go to: AISD School Assignment by Residency
MAC only currently has AISD parent employee transfers and curriculum transfers to attend our high school. Curriculum transfers are automatically awarded to students upon acceptance into the Academy. AISD Student Services (512.414.1726) processes these transfers during the summer prior to the start of school. You will not see MAC as an option for any reason until you are processed by district. The Academy office does not manage the timing of this process. Therefore, questions should be directed to Student Services directly.
If you submit a transfer request for a priority or general transfer prior to applying to this program, acceptance into this program will supersede an approved priority or general transfer.
What else do you need to know? (from district):
Applicants who are approved to attend a magnet or performance based application program (Fulmore MS, Lamar MS, LASA HS, and McCallum HS) must show proof of residence within AISD boundaries by the application due date to the school’s Registrar. This proof may include documentation indicating that the student’s family will occupy a residence that has been purchased or leased. Family must show proof that they will live in AISD boundaries at the beginning of next school year. The proof must be provided within 45 days (before or after) application due date.
Residence within AISD boundaries must be maintained in order to remain in a magnet/special program. If a student moves out of AISD while attending the program, s/he will be allowed to finish the semester in that program. In the case of a graduating senior, s/he may finish the year in the magnet/special program.
Principals and directors of the magnet or performance based application programs may request proof of residence at any time.
*The intent of this policy is for students applying to magnet and performance based schools to live within the AISD boundaries at the time of application or to provide proof of moving prior to beginning of school year within 45 calendar days of the application deadline.
Click here to find out if your current address is within AISD boundaries.
For more information about AISD transfers, click here.
Full District Residency/ Transfer Policy
If you submit a request for a priority or a general transfer, in addition to your application to a magnet or application program, it is important to understand that the timeline for submitting the request and for processing the request for a priority or general transfer will be different than the timeline for the application process for the program to which you are applying.
The deadline for submitting a request for a priority transfer or a non-priority transfer to go into the lottery is the last business day in January. Most approval and denial letters will be mailed by Spring Break. Beginning the first day in February, requests for transfers will be accepted on a first come first served basis and approved only if there is available space. Generally, approval and denial letters will be received 3-4 weeks after the request is submitted. It also is possible to contact the Office of Student Services at (512) 414-1726 to determine the status of a request for a transfer. Please see the transfer website for additional information: https://www.austinisd.org/transfer.
If your student receives an approved priority or general transfer AND acceptance into this program, the acceptance into this program will take precedence and any approved priority or general transfer will be revoked.
Please note that beginning with the 2017–18 school year, applicants who are approved to attend a magnet or performance-based application program (Fulmore, Kealing, Lamar, LASA, and McCallum) must show proof of residence within District boundaries by the application due date. This proof may include documentation indicating that the student’s family will occupy a residence that has been purchased or leased within 45 calendar days of the application due date.
Residence within District boundaries must be maintained in order to remain in a magnet program. If a student moves out of District while attending a magnet program, the student will be allowed to finish the semester in the magnet program. In the case of a graduating senior, the student may finish the year in the magnet program.
Principals and directors of magnet or performance-based application programs may request proof of residence at any time.
You can check if your address falls into AISD boundaries here: School Assignment by Residential Address
See information that is wrong or needs an update? Contact the webmaster. Page last modified: