Fine Arts Academy
Audition/ Portfolio Review Instructions
Auditions and Portfolio Reviews are by appointment only and are scheduled after all of the student’s application materials have been received and reviewed by the Academy office. The Fine Arts Academy office contacts parents about scheduling auditions/portfolio reviews.
Audition and Portfolio Review Schedule
*Audition is by invitation only. In January, you will register for a specific time slot on one of the audition dates available for your major. We recommend clearing your schedule for all of the dates that auditions are taking place for your major NOW, just in case no additional slots are available on any given day. Specific times TBA.
Acting: Saturday, February 17th and Monday, February 19th
Band: Saturday, February 3rd and Monday, February 19th
Choral Studies: Saturday, February 3rd and Monday, February 19th (dates updated 10/11/17 due to conflict w/MS all-region choir event)
Cinematic Arts: Saturday, February 17th and Monday, February 19th
Classical Guitar: Monday, February 19th
Collaborative Piano: Monday, February 19th
Dance: Saturday, February 10th and Monday, February 19th
Orchestra: Saturday, February 10th and Monday, February 19th
Technical Theatre: Monday, February 19th
Visual Arts: Saturday, February 10th, Saturday, February 17th and Monday, February 19th
Audition and Portfolio Review Requirements
- Must perform a prepared solo (bring two copies of audition music). Accompanist will be provided. Recommended books from which to choose audition music are any of the Alfred Publishing “Folk Songs for Solo Singers” books
- Be prepared to sight-read and to vocalize
- Original digital film less than 5 minutes in length OR original 3-5 page script
- 200-word essay explaining back story, concept, etc. of film or script
- Perform two prepared pieces of contrasting styles (should be on UIL Class I solo repertoire lists or of equal difficulty
- Perform all major/harmonic minor scales (minimum two octaves in parallel motion); basic I-IV-V7-I chord progressions in all keys; simple transposition of a short melody with choral accompaniment
- Interview covering the applicant’s piano history will be included.
Students will participate in a group audition and an individual audition.
- Group audition includes Ballet Barre, Modern Center, and Jazz combination.
- For the individual portion, the student will prepare a 1-2 minute solo and complete a short interview.
- Wear dance attire and hair up. Please be prepared to dance without dance shoes or socks. Ballet shoes optional for the ballet barre.
INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC (BAND, CLASSICAL GUITAR AND ORCHESTRA)
- Must perform a prepared solo
- Bring instrument and two copies of audition music (percussionists, bring sticks/mallets only)
- Band applicants, be prepared to play all 12 Major scales
- Perform 2 memorized contrasting monologues from published plays (no Shakespeare). Combined time should not exceed 3 minutes.
- You will also do a cold reading at the audition.
Technical Theatre applicants:
- Interview; be prepared to answer questions on experience or interest in technical theatre and bring any applicable supporting materials (photographs, etc.), as well as discuss the 500-word essay submitted with the application materials. Also, design and create a model of a set that would be representative of your favorite celebrity’s birthday party.
Musical Theatre Performance Certificate (add-on to a major): Student will choose and audition for a primary strand (Choir, Theatre, or Dance). You may audition in up to two strands. Those accepted will be given a list of additional musical theatre coursework.
Portfolio of MINIMUM 12-15 art pieces to include:
- Examples of work from your middle school art classes, including 2D and 3D work
- A self-portrait with shading
- Drawings from observation (i.e. still-life, landscape, figure drawing, a pet)
- Artwork and creative pieces completed outside of the school setting
- Audition will include an interview and an on-site drawing assignment.