Fine Arts Academy
Applying to the Academy
Interested in applying to the McCallum Fine Arts Academy? Sign up HERE for reminders and info.
Who Can Apply?
The Fine Arts Academy follows a four-year curriculum. As a result, most applicants apply as an 8th grader to start the following fall. Current 9th graders may apply to start in the Academy as 10th graders. All applicants must be residents and maintain residence within the AISD boundaries (click here for more info).
The McCallum Fine Arts Academy accepts applications each January from 8th and 9th graders. Students who pass the initial review of their applications are then invited for an audition and/or portfolio review. All students who apply to the program are notified of our decision before Spring Break. Decisions include denials, acceptance offers, no/we welcome you to reapply next year, and wait list.
We do not accept applications from students after 9th grade. The only exception to this rule, however, is for students who have attended a fine arts academy in another part of the country and whose family is relocating to Austin. Even in this case, application and acceptance is not guaranteed. If the prior fine arts program credits can transfer and the student can complete all requirements for graduation in the McCallum Fine Arts Academy in their remaining time in high school, an Audition/Portfolio Review will be scheduled.
All accepted Fine Arts Academy students are automatically provided a curriculum transfer, if they are not currently zoned for McCallum High School. No action is required by parents; the Fine Arts Academy provides the list of approved students to the district office.
Transfers for non-AISD residents are not available. The only AISD-resident transfers available to attend McCallum are 1) curriculum transfer (associated with acceptance into the Fine Arts Academy), and 2) AISD parent employee transfer. Students must maintain AISD residence to remain in the Academy. Questions? Student Services 512.414.1726
Application & Audition/ Portfolio Review
- The updated application, along with instructions, is made available online in October each year. Click here for more info.
- Every applicant who makes it through the initial screening, will audition or have a portfolio review and interview. Click here for more info.
- Your opportunity to visit McCallum is through an Academy Campus Tour – shadowing and individual tours not provided. Click here for tour registration instructions.
- If you would like specific feedback/ tips on preparing for your audition and to meet your potential faculty, we hold Academy Workshop Day in December. Click here for more info.
- Be sure to review the curriculum requirements of each major. Decisions are based on grades, attendance, teacher recommendations, disciplinary records, and the audition/portfolio review.
When you come to the Academy you’ll be making a 4-year commitment to a particular area of study in the Fine Arts.